Get the kids involved in making and munching on these sweet skewers. These will garner many praises if served at a Christmas lunch. Other stellar fruit additions would be kiwi, pineapple, apricots and mango.
1 cup (250 ml) fresh strawberries, halved
2 bananas, cut into 1/2 in (1.25 cm) pieces
2 ripe peaches, each sliced into 8 wedges
8 – 8 in (20 cm) bamboo skewers
2 oz (60 g) 70% (or higher) dark chocolate, chopped
1. Thread fruit alternately onto bamboo skewers, using about 2 pieces of each fruit per skewer.
2. Place fruit skewers in single layer on baking tray, making sure they don’t touch each other. Place in freezer for 1 hour or until fruit is frozen.
3. Before serving, melt chocolate in double boiler or heatproof bowl set over pan of lightly simmering water, stirring often. Alternatively, microwave chocolate in large microwave-safe bowl in 20 to 30 second increments, stirring after each interval until everything is melted.
4. Drizzle frozen fruit skewers with melted chocolate and return to freezer until ready to serve.
5. Just before serving, let skewers rest at room temperature for a couple of minutes to slightly soften frozen fruit.
Each serving contains: 766 kilojoules; 3 g protein; 7 g total fat (4 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat); 31 g total carbohydrates (20 g sugars, 5 g fibre); 4 mg salt
Scientists at Texas A & M University believe phytochemicals in peaches, such as chlorogenic acid, could be toxic to breast cancer cells.
source: “The Big Chill“, alive Australia #14, Summer 2013