Everyone wants health and potential protection from cancer, but few of us know how to successfully implement healthful change.
Based on my experience helping thousands of people understand how their food choices affect their health, I feel the greatest need at this time is a return to a common sense approach to food. We need to return to natural sources for immune-boosting nutrition and focus on whole foods as nature provides them. Just look at oranges as an example. They come with their own packaging. There’s no need to master percentages or nutrition labels and portions can be generous.
This month I am sharing with you real recipes from real cancer survivors. Their healing journeys are featured in the book Staying Alive! Cookbook for Cancer Free Living (Belissimo Books, 2004). Dietary and lifestyle change worked for them and it can work for you too when you incorporate into your diet immune-boosting and cancer-fighting foods such as onions, garlic, brown rice, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, ginger, and even tea.
It’s time to invest in yourself. Don’t throw your health away. Make cancer-free living your number one priority and experience the results, one bite at a time.
- Lentil and Rice Pilaf with Toasted Cumin Seeds
- Tofu and Broccoli Stir-fry
- Quick Calcium Smoothie
- Blond Poached Pears with Rooibos Tea
- Garlic Toast with Fresh Herbs
Did You Know?
- At the current rate, cancer is expected to increase by up to 70 percent by the year 2015 (Centre for Integrated Healing, healing.bc.ca).
- Cancer is the leading cause of premature death in Canada, responsible for almost 30 percent of all potential years of life lost (Canadian Cancer Society Cancer cancer.ca).
- The immune system is one of your body’s most important defences against cancer (Dr. Michael T. Murray, doctormurray.com).
- Various epidemiological research studies show that at least 80 percent of cancers can be prevented through diet and lifestyle modification.
- Cancer-free living means focusing on the whole person.
Top 10 Cancer-Fighting Foods
- Apples – Studies show that apple skins inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
- Asian mushrooms – Shiitake, reishi, and maitake mushrooms boost the immune system.
- Beans – All types of legumes contain a protective fibre that helps eliminate toxins.
- Blueberries – This beloved berry packs a powerful punch of antioxidants.
- Brown rice – The phytonutrient lignan in this and other whole grains has antitumour effects.
- Carrots – Keep the skins on for extra absorption of protective antioxidants.
- Cruciferous vegetables – Broccoli, cabbage, kale, and the like are famous for their cancer-prevention properties.
- Flaxseeds – Research shows that when ground and eaten daily, flax slows tumour growth in breast cancer patients. The seeds are also active disease fighters.
- Garlic – This strong-smelling food is also strong when it comes to cancer-fighting and immune-supporting properties.
- Ginger – An aid for nausea, this herb is also helpful in fighting cancer.
-Source: Adapted from Staying Alive! Cookbook for Cancer Free Living by Sally Errey (Belissimo Books, 2004).