Hot weather means fresh summer salads, and Monday means vegetarian dinner. Combine the two, and youve got delicious alive recipes!
It’s no surprise that when the mercury soars, we stop craving heavy stews and casseroles and instead turn our sights to lighter fare. Salads are hot-weather staples, as no stovetop or oven is required. So what do you get when you combine fresh summer salads with Meatless Monday? Delicious alive recipes, of course!
Tips for creating the perfect vegetarian summer salad
- Salads can be one of the fastest meals to prepare when you’re in a hurry, or when you’ve just come home from work and don’t feel like cooking. Generally, you can make the dressing a few days in advance and keep it chilled.
- To save even more time during the week, shop at your local farmers’ market on the weekend for the freshest local greens and veggies. Wash and chop them at home, and store in the fridge.
- ‘Tis the season for local fruit and berries, so don’t be afraid to sprinkle your salads with antioxidant-packed blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries … the list goes on!
- Don’t be fooled—meatless salads can be filling! Vegetarian proteins ideal for salads include quinoa, beans, chickpeas, nuts and seeds, hempseeds, and (depending on whether you’re vegetarian or vegan) goat cheese.
- If you’re using canned ingredients (such as chickpeas or beans), opt for BPA-free versions.
Meatless summer salad recipes
Take inspiration from these delicious alive recipes!