Planning buying candles this holiday? Be aware that lead-wicked candles can be dangerous, and Health Canada says it's best to avoid them
Planning buying candles this holiday? Be aware that lead-wicked candles can be dangerous, and Health Canada says it's best to avoid them.
Lead is a toxic, carcinogenic hazard implicated in reproductive problems. It can be inhaled during burning of lead-wicked candles, which is why those cheap, dollar-store candles should be crossed off your gift list.
When shopping for candles, ask for lead-free wicks. Testing conducted on a random sample on candles showed an estimated 10 per cent of candles available in Canada contained these wicks.
Beeswax candles, often sold in health food stores, are likely to be lead free and clean burning. For candles already in your possession, check the wick for a metallic core by rubbing it on white paper. A resulting grey colour probably indicates lead. Save your health-don't burn lead core wick candles, instead, throw them out.