Feeling sluggish after a long winter spent indoors? Get a jump-start on spring with a cleanse. The benefits include detoxification of accumulated waste in our bodies.
Detoxification is the process of clearing accumulated toxins and waste from our bodies. Key organs such as our liver, kidneys, lungs, and skin, as well as our lymphatic and intestinal systems are constantly working to eliminate all the toxins we encounter on a daily basis.
Although our bodies are naturally equipped to do this on their own, a seasonal assisted cleanse is a great way to jump-start the process. In just a few short weeks, you’ll be met with new-found energy, brighter skin, and improved overall health.
How to detox?
While there is a plethora of different supplements and diets that can assist with the process, here are some strategies to consider:
- Increase your fibre intake. Fibre binds to toxins and sweeps them through the intestinal tract, helping with elimination. Up your fibre intake by eating more plant-based foods such as vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Have trouble getting your daily dose? Try adding them to a smoothie.
- Load up on chlorophyll. Chlorella, a green freshwater algae, contains the highest source of chlorophyll on the planet. It is especially beneficial in cleansing the bowel, liver, and blood, and eliminating heavy metals.
- Drink up! Drinking water helps flush toxins from the body. Pure water with lemon is best, especially first thing in the morning.
- Think probiotics. These friendly bacteria help maintain healthy intestinal flora, ensuring nutrients are assimilated and waste is eliminated. They may also help improve organ function, such as that of the liver.
Reduce and eliminate toxins
- Whenever possible, cut out processed and refined foods, alcohol, tobacco, prescription and over-the-counter drugs, certain personal care products, exposure to pesticides and pollution, and stress—physical, emotional, and mental.
- Avoid allergenic foods such as soy, gluten, corn, dairy, and peanuts.
- Try dry skin brushing. Using a dry, soft natural bristle brush, brush dry skin toward the heart. This helps to boost the lymphatic system.
- Take a bath with two to three cups of sea salt added to help hydrate the skin and reduce dry skin redness and inflammation.
- Sweat daily. Your skin is your largest eliminative organ, and sweating can help release toxins from your body.
What to expect during a detox
If you feel tired, achy, and irritable, it’s normal. This is a result of your cells and body finally releasing and eliminating all the stored up toxins and waste. Once the initial process is over, you’ll be feeling refreshed and renewed.