These tacos not only pack a flavor punch, but are also composed of plant-based powerhouse nutritional stars. Carrot tops add a fresh, herb-like taste to enhance the carrot flavor in the miso salsa. But be careful: Don’t use the tops if they’re very large, as they will be bitter.15
Beet and Walnut taco filling
6 small red beets, including beet greens
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
2 small shallots, finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup lightly toasted walnut halves,
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 medium-sized fresh carrot, including top
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil, plus extra
1/2 tsp finely grated peeled ginger root
1/2 tsp finely diced shallot
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp white miso paste
1/2 cup diced Roma tomatoes
1/2 tsp finely diced jalapeño
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Zest and juice from 1 lime
6 to 8 corn tortillas
spicy vegan mayo
Cholula hot sauce
shredded vegan cheese
- Make the filling: Scrub beets; remove and reserve beet greens.Place beets in steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, or until tender all the way through but still slightly firm. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into small dice. You should have about 2 cups diced.
- In medium saucepan, heat grapeseed oil over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring often, until shallots have softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in walnuts and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add diced beets and let mixture cook, uncovered, stirring often, until ingredients are soft and liquid has all been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Stir in seasonings and lime juice until aromatic. Remove mixture from heat and set aside.
- Make the salsa: Preheat oven to 400 F. Remove carrot top from carrot and finely chop. Set aside. Peel and cut carrot into small dice. You should have about 1 cup. Rub diced carrot with a little grapeseed oil. Spread out on baking sheet and roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until slightly golden but still firm. Remove and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, heat grapeseed oil over medium heat. Add ginger root, shallot, and garlic and gently sweat until slightly translucent. Add diced carrot and miso and stir until carrot starts to become tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in tomatoes, jalapeño, carrot top, cilantro, and lime zest and juice.
- To serve tacos, wash, dry, and julienne beet greens. Line corn tortilla with beet greens. Top with a scoop of beet and walnut taco filling and carrot-miso salsa and your choice of additional garnishes.