Grilling flatbread on the barbecue adds a delicious smoky flavor. For the topping, we’ve combined strawberries with tomatoes. Imagine! The sweetness of both, coupled with tart green apple, is spectacular.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
3 Tbsp seeds, such as chia, hemp, sesame, flax, and poppyseeds
1 – 1/4 oz pkg instant or quick-rise yeast
1/2 tsp raw sugar
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup warm water (about 130 F)
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
1/2 lb assorted colored cherry tomatoes
(about 2 cups), halved
1/2 lb strawberries (about 1 1/2 cups),
hulled and quartered
1 large unpeeled green apple, such as Granny Smith,
cored and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus extra
2 Tbsp crumbled vegan feta or smoked tofu
3 Tbsp chiffonade of fresh basil leaves
Aged balsamic (optional)
- Make the dough: In large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, seeds, yeast, sugar, and salt. Gradually stir in warm water and olive oil with wooden spoon. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 10 minutes. Cover and let rest on floured surface for 10 minutes. Alternatively, knead dough in bowl of electric mixer fitted with dough hook attachment. Set aside in lightly oiled bowl with kitchen towel over top while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Make the topping: Place tomatoes, strawberries, and apple in large bowl. In small bowl, whisk olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar, salt, and pepper together until emulsified. Drizzle over fruit mixture and gently fold together. Set aside.
- Grease barbecue and preheat grill to 400 F. On lightly floured surface, roll out dough into large round (about 14 inches in diameter). Alternatively, divide dough in half and roll into 2 oval-shaped flatbreads. Lightly brush both sides with oil.
- When barbecue is hot, place crust(s) on grill and bake, covered, for 3 to 7 minutes, or until underside is grill-marked and lightly browned and the top has started to bubble. Keep watching to make sure temperature is not so high that it causes burning, as all barbecues are different.
- Flip crust(s) over. Grill other side for 3 to 4 minutes, until exterior is lightly browned and dough is cooked through. Remove from grill and transfer to large wooden board or platter. Scatter tomato mixture over top. Sprinkle with vegan feta or smoked tofu and basil. Drizzle with a little extra olive oil and some balsamic if you wish. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Tip: Serve this flatbread quickly once the topping has been added to it; it needs to be eaten fresh!