Here's a list of facts from Dr. Cassie Irwin on men's health:
- 72 percent of men would rather clean the toilet than go to the doctor, according to a 2019 men’s health survey.
- Two-thirds of men avoid going to the doctor for as long as possible.
- Men may feel pressured to remain strong and avoid the vulnerability of asking for help, a concept which psychology researchers have identified as a contributor to health care avoidance.
- A nutritious diet and healthy lifestyle practices are foundational prescriptions from naturopathic doctors and are integral for reducing risk factors of preventable chronic diseases, including cardiorespiratory disease, diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease.
- Cardiovascular events, such as heart attack, account for 40 percent of male deaths in industrialized countries.
- Prostate cancer is the second most frequent cancer among men.
- Naturopathic doctors can prescribe evidence-based treatments to decrease prostate cancer risk, as well as to manage prostate enlargement, erectile dysfunction, and infertility.
This is a web exclusive for the article "Taking Charge Of Men's Health" from the June 2020 issue of alive magazine.