Deck the halls with boughs of holly - but make sure that Fido and Fluffy stay safe with these tips!
The holiday season should be merry and bright for humans and our furry friends alike, but believe it or not, the festive season can be quite dangerous for pets. Here’s how to deck the halls with boughs of holly—but make sure that Fido and Fluffy stay safe!
Deck the halls
Many of the plants we associate with the holiday season, such as holly and mistletoe, are poisonous to pets. Keep these plants well out of pets’ reach. While poinsettias aren’t actually poisonous (yes, really!), animals often vomit after consuming this plant because of a sensitivity to the latex in the plant.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree
While a Christmas tree may look like the ultimate scratching post, pet owners know that pets and Christmas trees can be a recipe for disaster. To make sure both stay safe:
- Ensure your tree is well secured.
- Avoid tinsel, which can be extremely hazardous to pets if eaten.
- Keep the water reservoir covered.
- Try to keep the tree away from furniture or windowsills if possible so Kitty has fewer access points.
- When hanging ornaments, try to hang them higher than pets can reach. Consider string rather than hooks, and opt for non-breakable decorations.
- Make sure the lights and cords are inaccessible to pets.
(Don’t!) throw the dog a bone
No matter what Rufus tries to tell you, pets aren’t garbage disposals! Bones, particularly poultry bones such as turkey, can splinter and cause serious internal injury or even death when swallowed. Chocolate is also poisonous. Make sure all people in your house (even the out-of-town guests) know the rules when it comes to feeding the pets.