This delicious vegan salad is rich in protein—excellent for a full day of pumping down rugged mountain trails. For a gluten-free version, pack up a few more large lettuce leaves and substitute for pita pockets.
For amazing freshness, make your own sprouted lentils.
- Rinse and drain 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried lentils, removing any stones or debris. Place in 4 cup (1 L) Mason jar.
- Add about 3 cups (750 mL) water and place a piece of cheesecloth overtop, then secure with metal ring or rubber band. Set aside in a draft-free, unlit corner of the kitchen overnight.
- Drain and rinse a few times. Then cover with cheesecloth and band. Gently shake lentils in jar so they aren’t in a big clump. Place jar on its side in a dark cupboard.
- Rinse and drain lentils 2 or 3 times a day until lentils have 1/2 in (1 cm) sprouts, about 2 or 3 days, depending on your house’s temperature.
- Transfer to covered container and refrigerate.
- To use, quickly blanch and then plunge into an ice-water bath. Drain and blot dry. Use in the Sprouted Lentil and Quinoa Salad with Pocket Bread recipe or tuck into sandwiches or salads.
- Sprouts can be refrigerated for up to a week in a tightly covered container.
Construct a fresh and just-like-home meal on the trail: be sure to pack salad, bread, and lettuce separately.
1 cup (250 mL) green or brown sprouted lentils
1 cup (250 mL) cooked white quinoa, cooled
1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp (30 mL) sun-dried tomatoes, slivered
2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped, pitted kalamata olives
2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped chives
2 Tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, smashed and minced
2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 whole wheat pitas, cut in half
6 leaves curly-leaf lettuce
In small bowl, combine lentils, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, tomatoes, olives, cilantro, and chives. Gently toss to mix.
In another small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, coriander, and salt. Add pepper to taste. Drizzle over sprouted lentil and quinoa mixture. Gently toss to coat. Transfer to container just large enough to hold mixture. Tightly seal and refrigerate.
To serve, line inside of pita halves with lettuce. Spoon sprouted lentil and quinoa mixture into halves and enjoy immediately. Alternatively, spoon mixture into large lettuce leaves and wrap up to serve.