When the mercury soars, slaving over a hot stove may be the last thing you want to do. Thankfully, the following summer recipes involve no cooking at all.
When the mercury soars, slaving over a hot stove may be the last thing you want to do. With some culinary creativity you can turn out a stove-free menu that will keep you and your guests satisfied and cool.
Tools of the trade
The following tools make no-cook meals no-hassle.
- Professional knife: invest in a seriously sharp high-end knife, as no-cook cooking can entail much chopping, slicing, and mincing.
- Fine metal grater: add a wallop of flavour to no-cook meals with grated citrus, chocolate, ginger, or hard cheese. Look for a grater with two different sizes of holes.
- Blender: arm yourself with a blender that has serious horsepower to make quick work of raw soups, sauces, and puddings.
- Mandoline: make precise cuts in fruits and vegetables such as tomatoes, zucchini, beets, potatoes, carrots, and apples. Choose a stainless steel design with several blade options.
- Mortar and pestle: release the flavour and disease-busting antioxidants of herbs and whole spices with the grinding, crushing, and mashing action of this Stone Age food processor.