Looking to break out of your cereal and hard-boiled egg breakfast rut? Discover how you can jazz up your morning menu while nailing your daily vegetable quota. These recipes take the ho-hum out of breakfast and replace it with a resounding yum.
It’s commonly said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But too often this meal is dominated by items such as cereal, fruits, and eggs, without much thought given to one of the most crucial food groups for overall excellent health: vegetables. Veggies for breakfast?
Indeed! If you’re trying to pack more vegetables into your daily menu (and who shouldn’t be?), then you certainly must not overlook breakfast. You can turn this meal into even more of a nutritional dynamo by including nutrient-dense veggies such as leafy greens, sweet potatoes, and carrots.
Kick off your new year of healthy eating by giving breakfast a fresh twist with some veggie madness. Need some inspiration? These recipes will have you running for the crisper drawer instead of hitting the snooze button.
- Beet Yogurt Muesli Bowl
- Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Mediterranean Oatmeal
- Sweet Potato Kale Hash Patties
- Mushroom Wild Rice Egg Cakes
Fast & furious
No time to break out the pans to make your breakfast? Try these ideas for make-and-take veggie-infused breakfasts to start your day off right.
- Top an organic whole grain tortilla with canned black beans, sliced avocado, diced tomato, baby greens, and two dollops of plain Greek yogurt.
- Slather some cream cheese on rye crisps and top with sliced tomato, arugula, and smoked salmon.
- Blend together 1 cup (250 mL) plain kefir beverage, 1 chopped carrot, 1/2 orange, 1 small frozen chopped banana, 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh ginger, and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) allspice powder into a breakfast smoothie.
- Stir some pumpkin purée, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon into plain yogurt. Top with pecans and coconut flakes.